The Laura Secord Walk celebrates Laura Secord’s famous 1813 trek to warn the British of an impending American invasion.
The walk takes place along the 32 km Laura Secord Legacy Trail, a modern-day approximation of her route from the Secord Homestead in picturesque Queenston to historic Decew House Heritage Park in Thorold.
Every year since 2013, people from all walks of life have joined the Friends of Laura Secord in a celebration of her enduring legacy.
Walk into history with us…AGAIN!
The full Laura Secord Legacy Trail is 32 km long…
… but that doesn’t mean you have to walk the entire length!
About the walk
The Laura Secord Walk is divided into 5 stages with 6 waypoints. A Secord Shuttle bus will travel continuously between the waypoints from 10:00 am until 5:00 p.m. to give you a ride if you need it, and shorten the time commitment.
You decide how you’d like to take part.
Walk the full 32 km.
Walk shorter trail segments and take a connecting ride the Secord Shuttle.
Or walk a single stage, and linger at a waystation for awhile.
Some of the waystations will have activities onsite.
What it costs
Registration for the Laura Secord Walk costs $25 per person. You can pay online using a credit card or PayPal.
Registration link is at the bottom of this page.
What you’ll get
- Registration in the Laura Secord Walk
- Unlimited trips on the Secord Shuttle Bus between waypoints
- Access to washroom facilities at waypoints
- Light refreshments
- Souvenir Secord Medal
…and chances are good that there will be some Laura Secord chocolate somewhere along the way!
What you’ll do
- Register online (use link below)
On the day of the walk…
- Park on the street in permitted areas in the Village of Queenston
- Walk the short distance to the Laura Secord Homestead
- Check in at the Laura Secord Homestead between 7:00 and 10:00 a.m.
- Walk through the same door Laura Secord did in 1813 when she departed on her courageous journey.
- Walk along the trail at your own pace and at your own risk. There are 5 stages and 6 waystations. The trail encompasses everything from ancient forested pathways to modern city sidewalks.
- Optionally – ride the shuttle between waystations to shorten your walk. Shuttles arrive at waystations about every 1 – 1.5 hours between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Ride the shuttle bus from any waystation back to the Laura Secord Homestead in Queenston before 5:00 p.m.
For medical emergencies in the field, call 911.
Bring your smartphone!
This year’s walk will feature an interesting array of digital interpretive resources, including maps, trail guides, and GPS-triggered information about points of interest along the Laura Secord Legacy Trail. More info forthcoming…
Walk – Listen – Learn!
- Participation in this walk is entirely at your own risk.
- The shuttle bus schedule is variable. A full round trip takes between 1.0 and 1.5 hours, but we cannot guarantee exact departure and arrival times.
- Only limited medical and rescue personnel are on standby.
- Toilet facilities are limited to waystations
- Only limited amounts of water are available. Please carry your own!
- You must register online to receive benefits of the Laura Secord Walk (shuttle bus access, toilet facilities, refreshments, medal, etc.)